Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Way We Were

Me and Husband spent our Saturday night eating pizza, drinking beer, and watching "The Way We Were" in bed with my while I sobbed shamelessly. He also spent his first 4 waking minutes watching the Sex & the City "the Way We Were" Carrie/Hubble/Big redux on YouTube this morning with nary a complaint. Now that's love. Husband wiped my tears and held me. We are all broken. But at least I have him. I wish my love for him would come back. I lost it in the last few weeks. Though I know it's real and it's there. I just can't seem to find it.

So, I went ahead and sent Y&S a text this morning. I know that he's finally gone from this coast. I think he left some time during the last 24 hours. He stopped communicating with me for the most part after his 25 missed calls on Thursday night. I assume he was embarrassed. Or he's just fucking sick of me chasing him. And so I sent him a goodbye text. I feel mostly relieved that he's gone. His presence around here made me fucking insane. Here was my super codependent text:

i hope that you had a good flight back and didn't meet any scary cougars on the plane. I was pretty humbled and surprised by the fact that you didn't change your mind about meeting up with me. But I respect that you wanted to stay away from what you might have thought was a messy situation. Good luck with your life. Be careful out there. I will keep you in my prayers. I know that you won't understand this, but I feel blessed to have met you. You helped me put my life and marriage into perspective and sort through some things that I needed to look at. I owe you one, so call if you ever need to talk. I'm a good listener. I know from experience that people who think too much and feel too much tend to drink too much. So, be gentle with yourself and be good to yourself. I had 25 missed calls from you the other night with no messages- it made me giddy. You are like crack, one small taste of you just caused me to figure out how to get more. With that, I am letting you go. Farewell sweet boy.

Afterwards, I sat down with husband and told him everything. EVERYTHING! Except for when Y&S said that he'd impregnate me and we'd be lovers forever, because that's the kind of thing husband doesn't need to know. But I told him the important stuff, all the fucked up feelings I felt. All the weird fake love feelings and desperation and how I kept calling Y&S and tried to get him to see me. I was crying hysterically. Husband could barely hear it. He kept trying to get up and get coffee or walk away. I asked him why he kept walking away. He said that he was having a lot of trouble hearing it. In the end he said that he could understand what happened. And that he understands getting lost in fantasy. And being in a fog. He said he's angry and sad. But he's having trouble processing it all. He says that he knows me and how involved I get in people in pain. And that he loves me. It was good. I think we're gonna make it.

3 comments:

  1. <3 <3 <3

    I put hearts when I'm wordless, because the whole thing has really moved me—your honesty and openness in sharing this entire episode with us, so vulnerable, and your bravery and strength in being with your feelings of desire for Y&S and your sadness for Husband, and sharing them with both. You really worked the hell out of your program, lady—in Zen this is called "remaining upright"—or, as the sutra says:

    Turning away and touching are both wrong,
    for it is like a massive fire.

    You stood upright next to the fire, and didn't either run from it or run straight into it. You were with the feelings without acting on them.

    So again I'm speechless.

    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS and I realized today, 23 August, that it's only been three months since I found out, so it's only been about three months for you too. And three months is hardly any time at all. No wonder I still feel crazy. —Just to validate how out of whack everything must seem in your life, and wondering if you'll ever feel good feelings for Husband again. With both of you working so hard to save your marriage, I bet you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jez. <3 <3 <3

    It's not easy stuff, is it....

    ReplyDelete